Tuesday, May 23, 2006

FAVELA

Reading BLDGBLOG'S interview with controversial urban social geographer Mike Davis on his new book about slums. Haven't gone all the way through part one yet, but I'm immediately reminded of the fantastically terrifying documentary that accompanied City of God about the Rocinha slums of Rio de Janeiro. So, I think I might look at some information on Rocinha when I stumble upon POUSADA FAVELINHA, a tourist destination for people looking to experience life in a Brazilian slum. I always forget that the most absurd sci-fi ideas already exist just one or two clicks away on the web.

Or, at least in the Etended links in Wikipedia articles.

Also, population of Rio's flavelas reaches 1 million, Canadians in Rocinha and a blog on squatting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker