Wednesday, May 24, 2006

THE JUICE

I hate this. It's always when I've got other stuff to do that it happens.

The juice is flowin'. No, OJ Simpson doesn't have a rap album coming out — or does he?

I'm talking about the creative juices. Like the juice from a Jack LaLanne Juicer, they're free. Free flowin'. And I'm a bad boy, for having these thoughts. I'm also crazy 'bout Elvis.

So, I'm doin' the Kaiju. MoCCA's coming and I've commited to making new comics for that.

And now... now I'm having horrible thoughts about something else.

I think it's something that can be a good "preliminary work at the office/primary work after Marcos is gone sort of thing." Which is good, because that's just the sort of thing I need.

But I don't want it to become a thing.

You know, 'a thing'?

Something that eats all the time you have and the focussed totality of your mental powers, when it should only be a little side project.

That's all I want it to be, but work begets thought. The more I do, the more ideas I have about other things. And I already have so much to do. But if I stop, too overwhelmed with work and thought, then I just shut down. No work gets done, no thoughts are had, and I unlearn how to do things. My drawing turns to crappier. My sense of composition goes out the window. And then I have to work really hard to get my brain and hands to do what I need them to do. It's like the hand is connected to gears, each movement with a pen or brush moves the gears a fraction of a turn. The gears are connected to a big steel door in my skull that slowly opens, revealing more and more of the secrets of art, as the gears turn. But whenever those gears AREN'T turning in the right direction, the door starts closing again — and the secrets are lost.

When the door is opening, though, thoughts flood out like blood from the elevator. And I start drowning in them as I try to write down as many secrets s possible. I'd rather be drowning in thoughts than closed off from the secrets, but it gets hard to breathe down there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcos Perez said...

hrm
i say break it down! finish what kaiju that makes sense. then do something else than come back to it later. looking down a big long road of pages and panels is what often makes the mind want to do other things. do the shorts.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

It's true. I think it's okay. Next week is fool MoCCA modus operandi, so that will probably kill my drifting thoughts.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker