Monday, June 12, 2006

THE PECS ON THAT GUY

Starting to put my thoughts for this weekend in order.

After an incredibly busy week of Short Staff/Heavy Loads vol. 2 at the office, tell-tale cats and convention preparation; I was rewarded with a chance to work a 13-hour day on Friday. By the time I got home, the thought of further prep work was outside my reality and I just drank the wine, toasted C-Man on his birthday, drank the more wine and drunkenly slept 4-5 hours before heading to the Puck Building.

We had a table on the Houston side of the building, with Meathaus/Farel Dalrymple to the right of us, The Ganzfeld/Lauren Weinstein/Pantheon across from us and Brian Musikoff right behind us. That's pretty sweet company to keep.

I've had to relearn how to work a convention. I was so used to people coming up to us last year to ask us what our deal was, that it never occurred to me that I'd need a new style. That I may have to talk to people when they show an interest. Last year was all, "Earth Minds Are Weak? What's the deal with THAT?" or "HaHaHaHaHa. That's true." None of that business this year. Perhaps people are all up ons the Earth Minds, or maybe it just didn't stand out. Either way, I had to develop the cool-hand Lukes/active engagement guy. Maybe it helped that I was single last year. I was in that mindset. This year, I'm the guy who forgot how to date. I was finally getting my groove thing back by the end of Saturday. That was good. The absence of Friday prep work hurt a little (I had no signs, no nice shelf talkers, no art blowups) but I still had the good times.

I saw a lot of people. Tony Shenton, who has been doing great work for us, putting books into stores, Randy Chang and Peter from Bodega Dist., made a fool of myself with Neilalien (actually, I had a great little conversation with him about blogging and genre, but I committed the faux pas of asking about the location of his Cloak of Levitation), Matt Feazell, Carl is the Awesome Pimp Beaucoup Kevin, the loquacious fart-joke lover Ben T. Steckler, high-energy Ayo, "new" voice in comics Mike Dawson, Sakura Maku, the guys from Indie Spinner Rack, Jon from the Center for Cartoon Studies and many other people.

Lots of friends came out just to see us and experience their first (or second) comic book show. So, extra-special thanks to Bernadette, Stacia, Alyssa, her man, Adrienne, that guy, mom and dad, Jill.

Maybe I'll eat some food and then my brain will be in better shape for blogging...

11 Comments:

Blogger Marcos Perez said...

yes, i blog at some point. im too tired and no pictures having. perhaps i take photos of comics gotten.
i need to recount my many rapes conversation with weinstein. welcome a new member to the shitty ears club,

1:19 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

Many rapes? I have to hear that.

...that's the worst thing I've ever written.

I can't believe I forgot to take pictures.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ed Cunard said...

Crap. I meant to get over to your table, but I only had a half-hour to do any shopping. Crap crap crap crap crap.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin Church said...

I PIMP CARL BECAUSE CARL IS THE PIMP.

That is all.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

Don't think the intention isn't appreciated, Ed. I had all weekend to look around and the list of tables I missed is about as long as my arm.

Hopefully, we'll all get the chance to meet at some future time.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

Kevin,

Carl IS the pimp. If we had half the energy that you brought to our table each time you stopped by, I think Cliff Face would rule comics — although Carl would still rule us all.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Ed Cunard said...

You know what the real fuck of it is? I was even sleeping in Jersey City, at the Holland Motor Lodge. And I had breakfast Sunday at the Hard Grove.

Again, crap crap crap.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

Wow.

I knew I should have worn my badge while walking to the PATH. I probably walked right past you while you enoyed some pancakes or eggs. And one of those huge mugs of Cafe Bustelo.

Hmm. Now I really want to go to the Hard Grove... what time is it?

9:52 PM  
Blogger Neilalien said...

Justin, I enjoyed our talk, and have since enjoyed the full-color Earth Minds Are Weak #6.

No hard feelings- I just don't know you well enough to tell you where my Cloak is... :)

8:45 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

It's probably in Greenwich Village...

I was happy to meet you as well, and I'm thrilled you enjoyed the book!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker