Tuesday, November 28, 2006

LINKOLN AND LIVE PRESIDENT$

So, I missed Jimmy Carter doing a book signing in my office last night. I feel pretty foolish. Of course, it was only a rumor he was going to be signing in our office. God forbid the onslaught of inter-office emails should mention this. It's much more interesting to see 80 people deny that an egg salad sandwich in the refrigerator isn't theirs. Anyway, he was there (because our security is tighter than Barnes & Noble's downstairs), and I missed it.

I'll link to Jog again, because (in his pimpin' of the new The Comics Journal) he mentions this: "...Joost Swarte, who’s also got a career retrospective collection coming in 2007 from Fantagraphics."

WHAT? FINALLY. Really. It's about robertfrippin' time. I hope it's more comprehensive than just retrospective. Of course, it's Fanta, so it will probably be stuffed to gills.

Also, I think I'm going to really like the Michael Dean era of The Comics Journal. This looks like the best issue since Milo George was in charge.

Saw this over at Tom Spurgeon's site: Peter Kuper's photo/drawing documentary of the Oaxaca riots. Click the individual links for beautiful images of things terrible and wonderful.

It's cover-dated December 26th, but I think the 2000AD Extreme Edition 19 is out. All written by Garth Ennis. 65 pages with art by Philip freakin Bond. 3 by Roger Langridge. Some others by some others. I've never actually read any 2000AD (for shame, I'm sure), but 65 pages of comics from Ennis and Bond? Can it be anything but great? It can? Okay. But maybe it IS great.

Not a link: You know what the most disturbing panel in the new Acme Novelty Library is? No, not that one. Not that one either. Noooo... Let me just tell you, okay? The kids are all being marched back from recess, and Ware uses some wonky foreshortening that makes it look as though the kids in the front of the line are taller and much further away than they are. It creeped me the fuck out. I know Ware thinks that traditional perspective doesn't work in comics (per his In The Studio interview), but that really wigged me, man. The rest of the book is marvelous, however, and a big improvement over the last instalment (which was pretty aces). It's nice to see him still improving as a cartoonist — "nice" is my new way of expressing utter jealousy. I wish I had those utters...

The new Big Questions is also super great, by the way. And the best one yet.

Oh, and the 6th Runaways book is fun. Best covers that book has had. Adrian Alphona is thisclose to falling off the crazy ledge, art-wise. I never saw that Kyle Baker hair coming, I'll tell you.

And the Brubaker/Lark Daredevil collection is better than I thought it would be. Even if they ARE pulling every prison cliché out (except the threat of rape). And even if the art would look better in black and white (proved by the supplemental feature). And even if his Kingpin seems a little out of character. He certainly nailed J. Jonah Jameson better than Bendis ever did.

Finally saw Easy Rider this weekend. I know, I know. You know what? It was really good. Of course you know that, though. I'm the last person in the world to see it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easy rider!

old jack is good.

i buy acme today. i borrow big questions and buy eventual collection.

made a post on stick it make it ice yesterday about how im not so into the collecting thing at the moment

12:00 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

I wasn't sure if you were done with stick its. I looksee.

The acme stuff is great except some of the captioning. I thought it was just a begining thing, but then he gets back into it and you wonder if it's a 9th-grade notebook margin. Also there's one 'follow the dots' experiment that falls flat on the face, but some of the other experiments are fantastic.

And old jack is awesome. I'm still in no rush to see not-infernal-affairs though. New jack just isn't the city for me.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Jog said...

Provided they don't change anything, the Swarte book (which is titled Modern Swarte), should be a 120-page hardcover and collect almost all of his "alternative" work from 1972 to now...

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker