Thursday, December 14, 2006

DRAWINGIER

Just finished the pencils for the fifth page of Chapter 2. It's looking more and more like I'll be putting chapters 1&2 together in the same issue as I originally intended. With no store orders to look forward to for a few more weeks, and no conventions until June, there's little rush to get the next issue out.

Little outside rush. It's still today's tom sawyer on the inside. But I think I'd rather go with the thig chongk, deep-fried pork bottoms for issue 8. At least, that's what I'm thinking today. And I don't see any reason why I can't get all the pencils for chapter 2 done by end of year reconciliations. Hell, I feel like I could do its now.

Took some photo reference on Tuesday. What a difference that makes with the backgrounds. Wow. I basically converted the last few blighted areas of the downtown Jersey City landscape into greyscale, light tabled them and then freehanded the contours with the 8H. It's all Lou's Precision. I think it will make this section look drawingier, which is really where it's at.

Compositions come quick, half the thinking is done in camera. And I'm not spending half the day ruling crap out. I'm just the flying pencil death grip. And I'm thinking about choosing lines in the pencils instead of trying to figure out what the hell something looks like.

It works best for this chapter, because it's set in the architectural past, whereas the first chapter takes place in the story's present — our deep future.

And I've been revisiting the work in some of my favorite drawers, for the ladies. I cracked my beatup Campbells and Popes, dove into fresh Hernandez and got myself freakin' psyched for drawingness.

I'm now gonna hit page six so it tastes like a kiss. Drawing and quartering, tarring and feathering. Excited? I barely know him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker