Sunday, November 18, 2007

BREAKFAST BLOGGING

So, I'm eating breakfast and going through the blogs in the sidebar when I read Brian Nicholson's post about a new Usher (feat. Fabulous) song, "(Dat Girl Right There) is way weirder than any Timbaland song I can name.

Intrigued, I went looking for it and found a streaming file over at the Vibe blog.

This is a fuckin' POP song. Seriously. You know those extra-special pop songs that are so weird and so unique that no one expects them to be huge hits until they are and it all seems so innevitable, looking back? The sort of pop songs that come out amid a mess of banal formula and shock everyone off their feet? The sort of pop song that will make people in the club go crazy AND make Kenny actually consider putting the track on a jukebox in a bar? The sort of pop song that makes me go nuts for it? Think Missy's Supa Dupa Fly or Prince's Kiss. Think Hot Dog Love, to toot the Suave Prospects horn.

The production is the kind people would be afraid of doing anything with. It is that ridiculous. And it's an USHER song. I admit that I really enjoyed that last Usher tune he did with Lil John and Ludcris, but this is whole other fish.

(edited, because I wrote Fabulous instead of Ludacris. OOPS!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kenneth Belasco said...

I guess I better check it out.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

You might not like it, but I use your name in vein for the stringest of tastes.

Actually, I think you'll just wish someone more interesting than Usher was singing it.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Kenneth Belasco said...

The production on that track is kinda week at points.
It's sorta interesting maybe it would be more so if Usher wasn't pretend to be heterosexual all over the track and let his freak flag fly?

3:29 PM  
Blogger Justin J. Fox said...

Ah, you never disapoint. I still think the production is aces.

I don't know that he's got a natural freak in him. Little Richard, James Brown, Sly, George Clinton, Rick James, Prince, Michael Jackson, Cee-Lo.. thes guys scare the shit out of people like Usher.

Timberlake and Beyoncé may not be freaks, but at least they can play them on tv.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker