Sunday, December 23, 2007

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY — ALL OF A SUDDEN I MISS EVERYONE

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY — ALL OF A SUDDEN I MISS EVERYONE

I only heard 2001's Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever this year, when I started on my big obsession with post-rock. That album's mix of bombastic and militaristic rhythms mixed with heavily layered, processed guitars and ambient-soundscape synths seemed like an actualization of what an army of angels would use as it marched into triumphant battle. As beautiful and driving as it was, each song and each movement withing each song sounded fully realized, lending a real credibility to something so ambitious.

Where All of a Sudden fails, is in both its cohesiveness and in its realization. Songs seem to be thrown together with no sense of working together as an album, and each song seems to be built out of disparate parts rather than out of organic movements. Instead of a beautiful blend of what might seem like a clash os aesthetics, most of the songs here sound like attempts to fuse fragments written by different composers. And just as each fragment appears to be on the verge of transforming itself into something full and transcendent, it instead turns into something unrecognizable and the process starts all over again. I found myself either never fully engaged with each piece or confused as to why a group of songs were all grouped together as one track. Adding to my confusion was the absence of bottom on many of these tracks. The propulsive live drums of Those Who Tell the Truth are largely missing, leaving the songs feeling confined to their melody and mid-range harmonics. The addition of strangely compressed and somewhat amateurish piano on some tracks to add melody only draws further attention to a lack of substance upon which to hang such details.

If I ever find myself looking for an album to play just to have something better ignored in the background, I might turn to this. Why I'd ever do that, I don't know. This album is not making the list.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker