Saturday, December 22, 2007

DOIN' SOME WORK CHECKIN' IT TWICE

So, while drawing for the next few days, I'm listening to nothing but the sounds of 2007. For a year that seemed uninspired, I do find myself with 39 albums/398 songs/nearly 32 hours worth of music. I guess that's not too bad. Actually, it's a lot. But I don't think there's anything in there that's blown me so far away. Maybe I'm too old for that reaction now. There is, afterall, mostly good stuff here:

From Aesop Rock to Baroness to Battles.
From Bjork to Boris & Michio Kurihara to Burial.
From Busdriver to Café Tacuba to Dan Deacon.
From Deerhunter to Demiricous to El-P.
From Explosions in the Sky to Ghostface Killah to Jesu (two albums!).
From LCD Soundsystem to Liars to M.I.A. (the hipster bracket)
From Magik Markers to Marnie Stern to Middian. (they're not really in brackets)
From Modest Mouse to Nadja to The National.
From Neurosis to Novembers Doom to Panda Bear.
From Pelican to Pharoahe Monch to Prodigy (from Mobb Deep).
From Radiohead to Rob Sonic to Rwake.
And, finally, from Sage Francis to A Sunny Day in Glasgow to !!!.

So, let's see about making this a top ten list.

Handicapping? The first three in alphabetical order are also the early favorites for making the best of list. This might be the year the old hiphop heads go down (8 Diagrams got a first-round by and doesn't join the competion till late in the week). Will this be the year of bloop-bleep vs. post rock? Will this be the year of 'Where have all the women gone?'

Who didn't make the initial cut:
I buy most of my music on itunes, so not having an album available there got you off the list Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Legion of the Damned, Esoteric and Sa-Ra. The Entombed album was a clean version. I don't even know why. Kanye West, Nine Inch Nails, PJ Harvey, Talib Kweli, UGK, Hezekiah... as you know, in music, one day your in and the next day your out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker