Wednesday, February 14, 2007

AN UNEXPECTED ACT OF KINDNESS

Or just when I think I'm out, they drag me back in.

So, last week, I was working on my exit strategy. Get out of my job, get out of New York, get into doing nothing but comics... no serious thoughts beyond, "I just can't stands it no more!" though.

Today, I went in Uncle Moe's on 19th St., between 5th and 6th Aves. Uncle Moe's has the best burritos in New York, the city that never sleeps as it's trying to figure out how to make a decent burrito. I go there just about every Tuesday, or once a week if I miss Tuesday. Like most of my lunch stops, I don't even have to order anymore. The guys there just start making my food when I get to the front of the line. That alone, is awesome. I love being a regular.

Anyway, today they prepared my East LA and I went to pay. "Pepsi?" "Yes, please." "One pepsi." I went to hand the guy a ten, and he said, "This one's on me." "I'm sorry?" "This one's on me. Enjoy."

There is such a thing as a free lunch in this town, afterall! I enjoyed my burrito and read some of Kim Deitch's Shadowland, all the while thinking, "It's good to be me. In this town. With this job, so close to Uncle Moe's."

Do I have to pay this forward now? Hmm... I'll have to think about this. Who can I kindness unexpectedly. Something to mull.

Anyway, panel! Panel 2 of the new page one. I think Stelldora's finally got her groove back and is trusting her breadsticks. The rest should go down smoothly, unlike me, sporting three weeks of beard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker