Monday, July 16, 2007

CONSISTENCY? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGERS!

After finishing the 11 pages that I'm adding onto the top of issue 9, it was time to return to the backside. The first tier was done before MoCCA and before my headlong dive into The top 11. The bottom two tiers have the newest of panels.





The distinction is even more pronounced when looking at the panels from the previous page (whatever the number will be). Still, when I went into the bottom four, I completely rethought my original compositions.

Part of this is from reading so much of the Kirbies. Part of this was because I realized I had pushed in too far for too long and needed to pull back (a lesson I had pounded into my skull through a virtuostic display of failure by example — thanks, Michael Bay!). Part of it was having to explain why Gilbert Hernandez was the Greatest Cartoonist of ALL TIME (a speech that won't get me on the lecture circuit anytime soon, but that helped me further cement what was missing in my own work that I truly value in others). And part of it was just being revitalized by those top 11. I think my energy was starting to lag as I hit olde page 22, but it now feels pretty revived.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kenneth Belasco said...

I dub thee Side Silhouettes for shorts!!!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

I totally got another side silouette for the next page too!

Thanks, Ditko!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker