Monday, January 08, 2007

THE BLOOD LOCK 1

Since I don't have quite enough projects on my plate...

I've had it in my mind to do a manga-inspired, high-concept book for a while now (Was it really less than a year ago that I read the first volume of Death Note? It seems like a lifetime...). AND I've been wanting to use these 4"x6" Post-Its for an even longer time.

The problem was, I had nothing I wanted to actually do. Until today. Marcos was making a list of really bad, imaginary, 1990s-style Image/Marvel characters in an email exchange, and included the name 'Blood Lock'. It wasn't bad on the same level as 'Blow Eye', but it was somewhat... evocative? In some way?

Anyway, I began wondering just what a 'Blood Lock' could be. Not a guy named 'Blood Lock', but a lock — related to blood in some way. It took some doing, but I think I figured out what a Blood Lock was. And I realised what the high concept would be.

The plan is to average one page of thumbnails each day, while I work on the projects I've already started. Here's the first one:



I'm kind of surprised that so many details presented themselves to me immediately. I just ran my pen over to central casting, and came up with a gang of teens I should be able to easily play around with. That's the beauty of high-concept. You just plug'n'play.

Hopefully, the play is interesting enough that the plug vanishes into the background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker