Sunday, January 14, 2007

WHOA, NELLY!

Slowin' it downs for the big finale.

The whole ending scene in the eighth issue of EMAW didn't even exist until after Christmas. It was then that I watched and rewatched, respectfully, the two things that would trigger the whole hullabaloo at Rabbits.

The first thing I watched was Lady, Play Your Mandolin, an early, pre-Porky Merry Melodies short starring Foxy — essentially Mickey Mouse with more tail. In it, Foxy goes to a saloon where a (Minnie) Foxy sings the title song. All the characters are drunk off their asses and they all go ga-ga for the singer and their own antics.

The second thing was Blue Velvet, one of my all-time favorite movies. Each time I watch it, something else strikes a different chord with me. This time it was the club scene where Kyle MacLachlan catches Dennis Hopper weeping at the beauty of Isabella Rosellini singing the title song. I used to think that the song was the one thing that soothed the savage, but now I think that the song just makes him crazier differently.

Anyway, working on the last page, I decided to slow things down a bit, especially for the page's first panel. There are a lot of characters in it, and they're all stampeding counter-directionally. The last part is the hardest aspect, as I've internalized left-right momentum to such a degree that going the other way is a bit like writing with the wrong hand.

Here's how it's all breaking down. First, we have the thumbnail (which is where the 'writing' of my comics happens):



Next, there's my initial pencils:



In this case, I felt like I was losing some of the shapes and lines, to the point where I couldn't properly distinguish between positive and negative space. I decided to light table the pencils and do a quick marker markup to better establish what I wanted and where I wanted it:



I'm working on the second round of pencils now, and we'll see how that goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker