Friday, February 15, 2008

VALENTINE'S NAILING 244: MATTHEW'S PASSION IS BACH

Even with the V.D. behind us, I'm still trying to nail it. Here's a poorly lit photograph of the still-unfinished pencils for the first page of Secret Project February:


_________________________________

On a break from constant 2007 music listening, I went on a major Classical binge, all the way back to Bach (technically not Classical!). I've been listening to the 62-track Weiner Philharmonicker's rendition of St. Matthew's Passion (or BWV 244, Parts 1 and 2). Anyway, the recording appears to be from an older recording, complete with album skips, the occasional cough from the audience, and at least one moment when someone knocks into a mic. Well, I went for the one recording of the piece(s?) that was iTunes Plus and had at a recomendation to it.

I'm not sure what I think about the piece as a whole. It's certainly not as riveting as the final choral section ("Wir Setzen Uns Mit Tränen Nieder" — the part on Essentially Bach). Now that's some polyphony! For the most part, it seems more elegiacal than I expected. In the somber sense, not the punnish sense. More staid than a complex, contrapuntal work. Or, maybe I don't really know what I'm talking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker