Monday, March 06, 2006

I BUY THE PROSE

Bought two books of the traditional sort today. The Best Short Stories of JG Ballard and The Collected Fictions of Louis Borges.

I don't read a lot of prose fiction. Usually a couple books a year. I really don't read a lot of short fiction.

After watching "Crash" again (the good one, not the evil one that just won an Oscar), I decided that I should read more Ballard. It should be interesting to see how this book intersects with my life. I used to go to bars after work, carrying whatever book I was reading with me (note to singles: this is the absolute best way to meet people in bars). While in the middle of Crash, I met two women on vacation from Florida. One of them had had her hip and knee replaced after they and her femur had been shattered in a car accident. She also had huge breast implants and wore a lot of makeup in order to appear younger. She was like some kind of drunken cyborg. Really drunk. The evening came complete with plenty of pre- and post-vomitting makeouts, proceeded into a variety of bisexual proposals, then into a triangle of jealousy and ended with what must have been some sort of dodecahedron of jealousy.

I'm just glad I avoided getting into a car that night.

I've only read one story by Borges, supposedly one of the masters of short fiction, and I enjoyed it. I,m looking forward to sinking my eyes into more.

This is allfor pleasure and fiction research as I plunge into EMAW #7 soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker