Tuesday, May 02, 2006

JUST ONE PANEL

Two times.

Here's panel 7 of page one. I had to do some research on this one. I doubt it shows. I went looking for a car interior that was suitably modern enough that it would look like it could still be in use 12 years from now. I'm using a Lexus GS interior. I took the photo, converted it to greyscale, cropped what I needed (adding the top half of the window by looking at an exterior picture) and then traced the relevant areas on a separate layer. While I'm sure Lexuses (Lexusii?) will look different in 12 years, I imagine that low-end cars will look similar (based on no knowledge of cars). I printed the tracing then sketched in the figures and smashed window. Then I light-tabled that and figured out the lettering on printer paper. Then I light-tabled THAT onto bristol with an 8H pencil. Then I inked the damn thing (Mostly with a #2 brush) with Alex Toth screaming at me backwards in time from his spinning future grave (way in the future, hopefully).

Whew.

Here's the full-size image (well, click for full-size):And the print-size:It printed pretty nicely.

Those are deflated future airbags hanging from the steering wheel and glove compartment that I got the basic shape of from a car accident website. I also confirmed the basic look of the smashed windshield and window, but I pretty much remember what smashed and shattered car safety glass looks like.

OH! I also had to find out what Maryland State Trooper uniforms look like, but I did that yesterday. Again, I don't imagine much change in 12 years time (tomorrow, I expect their new uniforms to be headline news).

6 Comments:

Blogger Marcos Perez said...

i like ink spatters. or are those drips.

another subject entirely, u see deathnote trailer?
jog links too it.

there seemed to be no shinigami, then at the end there is a creepy 2 frame cgi ryuk!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Marcos Perez said...

thugh i kinda wish they just lo-teched it with makeup and an outfit BY RICHARD TAYLOR (monotone)

11:36 AM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

I used to do splatters back in a day, but it's too messy for my space.

Pen dotting. I could have done two more panels in time it took to dot the bloods.

I've heard of the trailer, but haven't seen it.

YES RICHARD TAYLOR COULD HAVE MADE A GOOD RYUK I JUST HOPE THE LAND OF THE GODS OF DEATH LOOK BETTER THAN THE HELL IN SPAWN AND THAT THEY INCLUDE DETAILS IN RYUK"S DESIGN THAT INCORPORATE THE SOOT AND ENTRAILS RYUK MAY HAVE ENCOUNTERED WHILST TRAVERSERSING THE LAND OF THE GODS OF DEATH.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Marcos Perez said...

ryuk look like smiling orcs basically. now i really wish they interpreted rather than tried to do the exacts.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

I will have to see...

2:34 PM  
Blogger Marcos Perez said...

i mean, his character design is like smiling orcs. not the cgi. looks like cgi.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker