Tuesday, February 28, 2006

NEW YORK COMIC-CON SOUNDS WEAK

BEYOND CAPES AND SPANDEX

I have never been to a panel discussion at a comic convention. Does that make me a bad person? I live a halfanhouratmost from the New York Comic-Con's location, but I made no attempt at not getting in. Does that make me a bad person?

Aside from Chris Butcher's great look at the 'State of the Industry' shampanel, this is my favorite recap of NYCC events—all done with a straight face. These two writeups should explain WHY I don't go to panels and WHY I didn't go to the local show.

First of all, the panel was called BEYOND CAPES AND SPANDEX Well, biffbampow, convention organizers. I hate shit like this. The title of the panel is a clear indication of the convention's mentality, "If you're not working on fucking Nightwing and the Battle of Bludhaven, here's the kiddie table you can saddle your special-olympics ass up to, and we're doing it all under the pretense of demonstrating the diversity within comics." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you need a panel demonstrating the 'diversity' within comics, then you're ackowledging the a priori failure of your convention floor. And what 'diversity'!

Why not call this Fred Van Lente and some people the moderator met one time. I think Kleid might be the only one who doesn't publish entirely in the superhero format.

"“Why have we decided not to work in the superhero genre?” Admittedly, some admitted (sic) that they had, but they still held on to there being more to the medium, and to their creative motivation, than just spandex."

“I learned that I don’t have to do superheroes, don’t have to do Superman. Comics can be pretty much anything I want them to be.”


This is New York, not Thumbedass, Alabama. Two-Thousand Mutherfucking 6.

“Why have we decided not to work in the superhero genre?”

Why are we treating the decision to do comics that aren't superheroes a decision to not do superheroes? Shouldn't the question be, "What about your comic's subject matter attracted you in the first place?"

"they still held on to there being more to the medium"

Desperately, one would assume. Fingers bleeding from the strain. The prevailing winds working against them.

"Comics can be pretty much anything I want them to be."

Virgin-raping afternoon-special god in heaven! If I never here this phrase again, it will be too nipple-bleedingly SOON! Am I the only person under the age of 60 who's family had a newspaper kicking about the house? Has no one noticed that THE INDUSTRY AS A WHOLE IS NOT EVEN MARGINALLY DOMINATED BY SUPERHERO COMICS AND HASN'T BEEN FOR TEN YEARS???????? Is it really so puss-filled scrotumly ABSURD for someone interested in the medium of comics to have any derire but the one to work on Sentinel Squad O.N.E.?

6 Comments:

Blogger Marcos Perez said...

i like how you complain about a show you've never been too by pointing out the silliness of a panel you'd admittedly never go to.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

Well, it would have been nice if the convention promoters had any interest in actually presenting a broader view of comics. I might have gone. I might yet go to a panel, but I'm terrified of being subjected to just this sort of thing.

I also think these are prevalent problems throughout the industry.

Why couldn't comics creators have grown up when the comics did?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

Imagine a press conference with a number of minor hiphop producers called "Beyond Rock & Roll" where the only relevant question asked was "Why did you decide to make non-Rock & Roll records?"

3:50 PM  
Blogger Marcos Perez said...

but if you had been there you may have seen some some good things about the convention. Its like opining a record based on reading reviews of others, and not actally listening. and u admit that so, ya know, that's cool. I found your essay 24inian in it's confusing whitemailing.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Marcos Perez said...

it is the white male to your teddy.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

This wasn't a review so much as a newsstory. And there's no white mail!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker