Tuesday, March 21, 2006

3-21 CONTACT HIGH

I wish I hadn't written that title. Now I want to do a story about a school called Contact High. Already the ideas are—there. They're all dead now. So long, ideas. There's a girl in my office, with a voice like a no-name Sesame Street monster, singing the chorus to "I Walk the Line" over and over again. Or, rather, she's humming the chorus to "I Walk the Line," and singing, "I Walk the Line." Just those four words. Suddenly, ideas for Contact High start flooding back into my brain and I know who kicks it first...

I'm piecing the next sentence together in my head when it occurs to me that she might be running some sort of doppler experiment. The humming just builds and builds in intensity as she approaches my desk and hits those four words when she's closest. She might not fit into the story. She was clearly home-schooled. It's possible that she still is.

Despite the fact that I can't make heads or tails out of the healing process of bruises, it's hard for me to tell when I'm getting better and when I'm healing. Saturday night looked like a major setback. Last night things looked better in most areas and worse in another. Whatever, work has to get done at some point.

And work has gotten done. Well, the part I dreaded the most is done. There comes a time, when you have to make a choice between the better and the done. I have chosen the done. More than a week behind schedule, and with that awful suspicion that the longer I work on it, the better it needs to be. It's time to put this puppy to rest. One design element is not what the book is going to hang on, after all.

Tonight will be the cover. I have the whole thing worked out, I just need to do it. I could start printing tomorrow, only nine days late. Luckily, I had that 10-day cushion built into the schedule. Hopefully, assembly doesn't take more than 15 days. It really shouldn't.

It would be great to be able to get back into Kaiju Jugoruma before all momentum is lost. I have a feeling there might be a third draft on that before I'm even out of thumbnails.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin Fox said...

It's true. And Pym particles are no help either.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

They let you get away with anything. Appear more Wonder Man than Wonder Bread.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

This is the Kreeziest conversation ever. And it's exploding my Skrull.

But that Cosmic Cubicle comment proves you are someone of Supreme Intelligence.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker