Tuesday, March 21, 2006

IT'S AMAZING WHAT DIFFERENCE A COVER MAKES

Okay. EMAW #6 cover is done. I think it looks pretty awesome. Some adjustments were made to a page that bugged me (made some type pop a bit more, rediscovered the burn tool to fill some areas better—after rediscovering the smudge tool a couple weeks ago). I still have to transpose two pages I put on the wrong sides of a spread.

I'm really happy with the cover. I was thinking about Chip Kidd as I designed it. It probably doesn't show. I like the fact that it looks like a a prose book. Almost nonfiction. It will really standout amongst my books and, I think, amongst the books at APE.

I know the story might seem a bit slight, but I'm not the best judge of my own work. It's especially hard with part of my head already into the next book. One of the hazards of working stylistically differently each time.

Anyway, the cover is aces. Not what I originally conceived, but close enough and really strong. I usually try to put that design training to use, but I think this one just came together.

I just realized that I forgot to put the price on. Nothing's simple.

It's going on the site after APE. #5 is there now, and this will give it a little room to breathe.

So, price and transpose tomorrow. Then printing. Then printing the rest of #5. Then APE. Then #6 goes on the site. Then two months until MoCCA. I'd like to have #7 written by then. Four months between that and SPX. Two months for pencils? Two for inks? Two pages every three days assuming I do it 40 pages as planned. Working nine times larger than #6 and that doesn't even factor in computer time. Maybe work on Kaiju until late August then do something small for SPX and debut Kaiju at no shows. Then six months until APE 07 and at least another book. And it all gets scary again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker