Tuesday, April 04, 2006

INTO THE PIT

With A.P.E. only days away, I know I'm going to have plenty of comics reading material real soon. Still, I'm thinking about what's next. I might dip my toe into manga waters again.

Supposedly "Monster" and "Death Note" are excellent. I won't be terribly surprised to learn that they actually aren't, but I'll try them anyway. I'm sure they're both printed in that crazy fashion all the kids like, because children are stupid. But I shall try them. Probably around the end of the month.

I'm thinking about the way Marcos is doing Tear-Stained Makeup, with each issue being as long as it needs to be, even though it's a serial. I'm thinking about the way I intend to do Kaiju Jugoruma and the fact that my means may result in distant ends. I don't want to go another year without producing an issue.

So, I'm thinking about maybe just publishing what's done when it's done. So, whatever I have done for SPX (finding a proper ending point within said work), that's what the first issue will be. It might be 12 pages or 20 or 40 or whatever. It might be one chapter or four. Whatever it is, that's what I'll publish.

So, SPX will have an EMAW issue. It will be Kaiju Jugoruma. And it will be however long it is at that point. Hopefully, I'll have some preview images ready for MoCCA.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

That's kind of a strange statement: "Supposedly 'Monster' and 'Death Note' are excellent. I won't be terribly surprised to learn that they actually aren't..." Regardless though, they are both pretty good from what I've seen of each. Death Note is cool because of its focus on strategy, and Monster is good suspense. Though I suppose if you don't like manga at all it wouldn't make a difference...

4:11 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

I've just found myself a bit underwhelmed by what manga I've read. I keep hoping to be enthralled and then just wind up either unimpressed with static art or kind of silly stories.

I have no problem with manga, since it's all comics to me, but I've yet to read anything that got me excited (except JUNKO MIZUNO).

Thanks, Bob. I'll add you to the list of people I'll thank or blame once I read start reading the books.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Nothing wrong with "silly" as long as its fun.

Since you're going to throwing blame my way anyway, I'll throw out Battle Angel Alita as another high quality manga. Though if you do pick it up, make sure you start out with the original Battle Angel as opposed to "Last Order" which is the sequel/alternate ending.

Cheers.
Bob.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

Fair enough. I'll check the other two out first, then Battle Angel.

But thanks for the recomendation. There's SO MUCH that's been translated in the past few years that it's hard to know just where to start.

I've heard good things about Planetes as well. I'll make that fourth on the list for my Springtime of Manga.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker