Wednesday, March 22, 2006

TECH BLINDNESS

Okay. I can't even pretend to read my or many other people's blogs right now. I'm only guessing this is my blog and not the Cliff Face blog. This font isn't even Wingdings. It's just symbols. Arrows, nubers in circles, some sort of fil de fuer, a pointy finger. A wide variety of arrows, actually.

Here's some stuff I stole from Warren Ellis, some of which he stole from other people (with attribution). I haven't read his stuff in a while... I did the link in a different app, so it should work.

Interview videolog, shot in black and white, with everyone wearing suits and dresses, smoking and drinking and actually talking like fucking grown-ups…

The New York Times published the toxicity of breast milk: found to contain “paint thinners, dry-cleaning fluids, wood preservatives, toilet deodorizers, cosmetic additives, gasoline byproducts, rocket fuel, termite poisons, fungicides and flame retardants”. These chemicals will remain in human tissue for decades long enough for these babies to pass the PCBs and chemical onto their own children.
Reuters July 14, 2005. A study made by testing the umbilical cords of 10 unborn babies. “Of the 287 chemicals we detected in umbilical cord blood, we know that 180 cause cancer in humans or animals, 217 are toxic to the brain and nervous system, and 208 cause birth defects or abnormal development in animal tests,”

The Ballardian future of local boredom and widespread repetition.

Looked at the Simonson/Chaykin Hawkgirl book. Looked nice, but not as amazing as I expected. I think the problem is, I forget that supercomics mostly look like crap, so I forget that it's easy to blow socks. I would have bought it, but it's HAWKGIRL. I just couldn't do it. Maybe another time. One thing I noticed that Chaykin does (that you rarely see anywhere) is the cropped closeup. Not really new for him, but how often do you see a face pushed to the panel borders like tht? He's also good with the three-dimensionality of figures. I don't know, I never really think about Chaykin that often.

Mome 3 is already a huge improvement over 1&2, because it's got 36 pages of David B. I want to read the Kurt Wolfgang interview, mainly becaue he so obviously doen't fit in with the other cartoonists (well, the ones who occupy the majority of the books) and doesn't seem to fit into the idea of a "literary journal of comics." Hopefully, they'll actually address that.

Finished Ballard's "Cage of Sand," "End Game" and "The Drowned Giant." I wish they called this book Deja vu, because all of these stories seem more like rememberances than new experiences. I can't figure out when I read them, but I must have. Must'nt I have?

Tonight is EMAW #6 corrections, printing, Lost and possibly drinking.

Fuck. I really hope this is the right blog...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker