Tuesday, April 11, 2006

ROCK, SEA, MUSIC

For our edifications.

Taking an APE break as my pictures are at home and I am at work.

Seems that a bunch of Brian Eno/Cluster rereleases happened while I was out. Nice review that has got me thinking about music again. Maybe APE was a salve to revitalize the Suave.

Listened to the new Flaming Lips. Don't know what to think. I remember needing time to let Yoshimi grow on me, but this sounds so disjointed. I think it will help to hear the songs out of order and mixed with something else, then come back to it as a whole. One thing that struck me is Coyne's anger. He seems really pissed off. I have a feeling this might be their incredibly long-delayed fall from grace, but I can't say for sure. Still, not-so-hot Lips is still better than none at all.

I got a bunch of stuff from Kenny that just sort of virally entered my system. I don't even know what a lot of it is, but I have a feeling that I wouldn't have tried to contract Akron on my own. I just know it's in there, and there's nothing I can do until I hear the symptoms.

One thing I got at APE was the "Naked Cosmos" dvd that Gilbert Hernandez made. Some of it's great and he creates some wonderful characters (surprise!), but some of it was either the worst thing to watch when your exhausted mind doesn't know what time it is or just the right thing. It's got some of the lowest production values possible, but I think if I caught this late at night on cable access with no idea who Gilbert Hernandez was, I would immediately be a huge fan. I don't know if it's just his interests merging or if it's secretly intentional, but "Naked Cosmos" seems to take place in the same world as Grip, a world that could use some filling out the way the Palomar world has.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcos Perez said...

and now beto has an ignatz book! new stories of old palomar.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Justin Fox said...

Yeah, I suppose that's coming out about the same time as Sloth. Summer of Beto!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker